Wheel sizes ?

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Wheel sizes ?

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Dredging this thread from the depths... May I suggest a second wheel forward, or somewhere a passenger may have access? You'd be surprised how nice it is to have someone else take the Conn for a bit, especially when you need to stick your head in the bilges while under way. After many many many hours of steaming I cannot begin to count the times when we've taken advantage of the second steering station.
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Isambard

Post by ianrichards » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 pm

I do like that idea.
Will look into it.
I am rather thinking of something along this arrangement.
Thanks
Ian
Attachments
12704D99-79DB-4545-9CAE-6911E09A6565.jpeg
12704D99-79DB-4545-9CAE-6911E09A6565.jpeg (110.52 KiB) Viewed 139868 times
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:31 am

I like it! I like that wheel also!
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi Folks

Just spotted that photo again. For any of our colleagues who may be new to the hobby, could I explain that the two cables on the far left go to the quadrant mounted on the top of the rudder shaft. A quadrant is best because it keeps the lengths of the cables constant throughout the range of rudder movement. The spring is to keep the cables slightly tight and discourage the chain from jumping off the sprocket. The chain is standard bicycle chain and goes over an 'off the shelf' cast iron sprocket that has been slimmed down to accept the bike chain. The chain goes over two bike derailleur chain tensioner sprockets then down to the steering sprocket that is on the same shaft as the wheel. Between them on the shaft is a bulkhead bearing bolted onto a wooden frame which is hidden by the plywood 'modesty panel'. The frame is arranged to be free moving in a vertical direction also ensuring that the steering cables remain sufficiently tensioned. In the final implementation the shackles, spring, etc were put through two pieces of old bicycle inner tube rubber with the end crimped by small cable ties. Like condoms they avoid one being caught out by unexpected problems (like the shackles locking together or getting caught in the spring.) It is nice and simple and works well.

That must be the one bit of technology I have not changed in Frances Ann'e re-fit.

Regards

Pete
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Isambard

Post by ianrichards » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:30 am

Brilliant, thanks Pete.
Now I can get my head around it too.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:04 am

Now that you have used it for a while, do you think the tensioning spring is necessary?

I've seen it used and needed with systems using a tiller arm instead of a quadrant. I suppose that if the hull flexed it would be needed even with a quadrant.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Actually the spring is unnecessary as the wheel/sprocket assembly uses gravity to keep things tensioned. I suspect that I got the spring as a result of a telephone order to some supplier who probably insisted that it would be necessary. As it is all hidden away under the coaming I don't know if the spring flexes at all in use.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:57 am

My thoughts are, that whilst the spring may not be truly necessary for tension it will provide some protection, both to hand and steering gear, in the event of rudder collision with some unseen underwater obstruction.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Post by RGSP » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Backlash in steering gear is far from the end of the world, but it IS irritating, and a spring tensioner is very simple and largely removes it.
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:55 pm

I would think the spring would help dampen the "beat" of the propeller wash also.