Glass ejector working under steam

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Glass ejector working under steam

Post by cyberbadger » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:08 pm

This ejector company made a large steam ejector out of glass so they could video it operating under steam.

In the second half they also visualize the operation an ejector with a water wave table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yK4Mzv7ei0

-CB
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Glass ejector working under steam

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:21 pm

Now where is the video that uses glass to show how an INJECTOR works? :o :?
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:39 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:21 pm
Well they are very similar devices, they both use jets or nozzles.

The animation in the video is probably one of the best ways to understand how an INJECTOR works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v0-jk-fyeY
or this video, it has the same animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4MNHyoQr3Q

As far as using and operating INJECTORS its pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and they are all different. I actually like the checklists that come in the literature for Penberthy - if you go through a checklist you can figure out and fix what might be troubling your injector.

Of course the real reason they don't show a glass INJECTOR is that they work by black magic, and if you made it of glass you would let the magic smoke out and it would stop working. Apparently it's a similar principle to how transistors work, black magic. Once you let the magic black smoke out of a transistor it will never work again.

-CB
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 pm

cyberbadger wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:39 pm
Mike Rometer wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:21 pm
Well they are very similar devices, they both use jets or nozzles.

The animation in the video is probably one of the best ways to understand how an INJECTOR works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v0-jk-fyeY
or this video, it has the same animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4MNHyoQr3Q

As far as using and operating INJECTORS its pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and they are all different. I actually like the checklists that come in the literature for Penberthy - if you go through a checklist you can figure out and fix what might be troubling your injector.

Of course the real reason they don't show a glass INJECTOR is that they work by black magic, and if you made it of glass you would let the magic smoke out and it would stop working. Apparently it's a similar principle to how transistors work, black magic. Once you let the magic black smoke out of a transistor it will never work again.

-CB
You mustn't forget the other essential ingredient to go with the smoke, and that is the mirror! ;)
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:56 am

Mike Rometer wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:30 pm
cyberbadger wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:39 pm

You mustn't forget the other essential ingredient to go with the smoke, and that is the mirror! ;)
Seriously though there are some steamers who enshrine strange rules and thoughts regarding steam injectors that are simply not true.

Ten years ago I had someone who ran a steam school for traction engines with a large chunk of the class being on injectors try to tell me all sorts of incorrect "facts" about injectors.

The only one I can remember right now is the guy was adamant that, "Injectors can't pump water into the steam space of a boiler." This is completely FALSE, many locomotives in fact use this configuration.

My only hesitation saying it works by black magic is I don't want to perpetuate the idea that they are not rational devices and are too complicated to use. They aren't that complicated and can be a joy to use.

-CB
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:13 pm

For some FUNCTIONAL injector possibilities, I recommend The "Eccentric Engineer" Anthony Duarte.
https://www.eccentricengineer.com

He is a southern California engineer manufacturing working injectors for the Live Steam fraternity, in various scales and sizes.
Several might be perfectly useful for our steam launch requirements. He has even recreated full sized locomotive injectors for clients!
At this time I suggest they are the finest injectors available today. Take a look at his website, above.

I have no financial or other affiliation with Anthony. I admire his incredible talent.
RussN
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:34 pm

RNoe wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:13 pm
For some FUNCTIONAL injector possibilities, I recommend The "Eccentric Engineer" Anthony Duarte.
https://www.eccentricengineer.com
Very nice looking. I like that there are people taking the time to make new/old designs. They are appropriately, not cheap. If I had spare money I'd buy one those old style ones with a starter valve.

-CB
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:38 pm

Of the four sizes offered, the smallest one could continuously feed a boiler in just about everybody's steamboat, listed at 150 PPH (pounds per hour) feed flow, and the next size up is listed at 225 PPH, approximately for a 5 - 7 horsepower simple engine, which is well above 90% of the steamboats in the USA and Europa.

They look to be very well made, what are the prices for these?
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:34 pm

fredrosse wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:38 pm
They look to be very well made, what are the prices for these?
Some of the prices are there on the website, not everything is in stock, there is also a production schedule page.

Small Scale Injector EE $250
Intermediate EE $300
Standard EE $350
Large EE $500

2.5" Scale Monitor Injector $1650
1.6" Nathan 1918A Non lifting $950
1.5" Nathan 4000C $1895

The prices for the EE Injector are actually pretty reasonable, that's in the price range for a good condition Penberthy.

-CB