Medea haul out

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
Chris W
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Medea

Medea haul out

Post by Chris W » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 am

Getting Medea underway at 0645 for her haul out and CG hull exam. Maneuvering in the basin to get lined up with the the travelift slings with a cross wind and the wheel walk of 11' of pitch on a back bell can get exciting! Shaft log for the rudder is badly wasted and will require some creative fabrication work to replace it. I really hope we don't have to pull the rudder but it will be interesting building the new one in the confines of the lazzarette.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Medea haul out

Post by fredrosse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Is there a place to see some pictures of this?
Chris W
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck

Post by Chris W » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:21 pm

The delivery went smoothly with the crosswind being more of a tailwind and all bells answered in a timely manner. This was the first time I've gone to a shipyard and not had to wait for an hour while they splashed something else! I'll probably post some pictures as the work progresses.
boatbum
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Arcturus

Post by boatbum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Chris,

Any progress on pics of Media's haul out?

Keith
Master M.V. Arcturus
Atlas Imperial powered
Chris W
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck

Post by Chris W » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:52 pm

Sorry about the delay for pictures but the normally hectic pace at the museum just got ramped up a few orders of magnitude and I'm spread thin enough to be transparent. That said, we splashed Medea a week ago and completed our CG inspection and drills pulling off a MOB drill in 15+ kts of wind in less than three minutes. The inspector was very impressed and let the crew know it.

All of the work had to be done through these two openings which just happen to match the width of my shoulders.

A not quite before shot of the rudder log. A repair had been made sometime ago by welding patches to the original structure. The patches were in worse condition than the original but I ended up cutting out about 90% of what was left.

Some of the larger pieces that should have been blocking the light of day in the previous picture

After

The prop was given a coat of "Propspeed" which is good for several extra turns on the top end and really cuts down on fouling. The hub was stamped "Thornycroft 6' dia 11' pitch"

Splashdown
Chris W
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck

Medea warm up

Post by Chris W » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:05 am

While we were preparing to get underway to the shipyard I remembered that my new cell phone could take video so here are my first attempts at video production. I will not quit my day job.

From another angle

gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by gondolier88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Chris,

That's some tidy work on the rudder post there! Good to see it works well too- 3min MOB drills are hard to do, that's an impressive turning circle you must be pulling!

Interesting your boiler was made by Riley's- they were prolific marine and stationary boilermakers, and made some extremely impressive boilers, there are some great photos of there products being towed by a team of about 50 heavy horses somewhere, I can't remember where I saw them.

Keep up the good work!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
Chris W
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck

Post by Chris W » Mon May 02, 2011 4:35 am

Back to the shipyard again in the morning. The bottom paint started peeling off on our way back from the yard so they are going to haul us out again and fix the problem. The up side is that I get to take Medea out for another romp and it's not on our dime.
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Tue May 17, 2011 8:42 pm

What is the Medea's steaming schedule like?