Going slow

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Going slow

Post by farmerden » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Yesterday I had the boat out for the last time before I put her to bed for the winter.I was experimenting with going slow on oil [atomizing steam ] I got down to about 2 kts with about 3lbs steam pressure on the atomizer and just a puny flame,no roar no smoke nothing Good now I can go fishing! But!!! When we got down to the end of the lake and turned around the cold wind was blowing directly on the boiler face. After a time the steam in the fire box was turning into a fine water spray! What the? Thinking about it I realized I have about two ft of uninsulated pipe between the fine adjustment valve and the superheater The steam flow was so slow and the fire was so cool that the steam was condensing in the pipe and not being superheated at all! Now you know I like shiny pipe but maybe -just maybe you guys with pipe insulation have been right all along-But you already knew that didn't you! Have a good day. Den :D
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Going slow

Post by mcandrew1894 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:48 am

Hi Den,

Thanks for the blow by blow....I've been putting off insulating pipe until the plumbing "settles down" but next year I think I'll be all over it.......if for no other reason than to stop burning myself :lol:

Dave
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 pm

mcandrew1894 wrote:...if for no other reason than to stop burning myself :lol:

Dave
Heck, if you don't have at least one third degree hot steam pipe burn per boating season, you're missing out. :shock:
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:58 am

I really had to laugh I burned myself reaching back from the cabin to the engine and Be darned if Stan didn't grab the same pipe to see if it really was Hot! What can I say -Steamers!!! :D
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:01 am

farmerden wrote:I really had to laugh I burned myself reaching back from the cabin to the engine and Be darned if Stan didn't grab the same pipe to see if it really was Hot! What can I say -Steamers!!! :D

YUP! :lol:

Had a 2nd on the back of my upper harm form the braided stainless steel steam line to my engine. People pay money to get sear marks to look that good on their barby! :lol:
What was funny was, I didn't care....every one else was horrorfied!

My answer.....eh Steamboating......
Dave
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:21 am

I used to show off my "battle scars" in school... I think my teachers thought I was being abused :lol: