steamboat Emerald

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
johnp
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cardinal Queen

steamboat Emerald

Post by johnp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Can anyone help me, i'm trying to find info or pictures of a steamboat named Emerald. the boiler plate i have says it was built in 1980 for Emerald By South Stage iron works from Medford Oregon.
87gn@tahoe

Re: steamboat Emerald

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:51 pm

John, have you checked the Northwest Steam Society online register? I believe South Stage Boiler Works was Don Mentzer's work.
johnp
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by johnp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Spoke to Don on the phone in March, I don't think he has email, I wasn't until after that I noticed the name tag. I was told at some point that it was owned by Gene Gobel. Does anyone have his email address?
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:17 pm

If the boiler plate came with the engine from Bill, my guess it is the boat the Burleigh engine was in and yes it was owned by Gene. It's a 20' steel hulled life boat. In pretty bad shape now. One of the local guys has it and not sure if he's going to do anything with it.

-Ron
johnp
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by johnp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey Ron

Yes it was from Bill, not looking for the boat just some info on the engine, who built it etc. I've spoken with Don last spring, he's 86, they pressure tested the boilers to 300 psi. Now that I have it all apart and cleaned up I found the stamping 300psi in 1980. I pumped it up to 250 psi before i found the stamping and it held for half a day.

Back to the engine, I was looking for info on why it was made taller than the original. And other info.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:22 pm

John,

I think the West coast folks know of the builder "Bob Burleigh" if I remember correctly, I seem to recall Wes mentioning him.

Not sure why that engine is taller, but to guess; On a wide deep hull like a lifeboat many of these engine designs which are intended for a narrow steam launch, are simply too short in height. Mine included. The engine looks lost between the engine rails. I've been pondering buying some castings and having some made for a much taller engine. Other than aesthetics and ease of use, one big advantage is that the crosshead sideloads are reduced on the guides as the angle at mid-stroke is reduced.

-Ron
johnp
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by johnp » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Ron, yes, it was Richard Burleigh who designed the engine. I managed to find a set of drawings, but I wanted to speak to the builder. It also came with a scaled down version of what looks to be a ships thrust bearing, I think.

I'm thinking of abandoning the reciprocating vacuum and feed pump and going with gear driven rotary, to keep things more compact. Thoughts?
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:31 pm

johnp wrote:Ron, yes, it was Richard Burleigh who designed the engine. I managed to find a set of drawings, but I wanted to speak to the builder. It also came with a scaled down version of what looks to be a ships thrust bearing, I think.

I'm thinking of abandoning the reciprocating vacuum and feed pump and going with gear driven rotary, to keep things more compact. Thoughts?
Burleigh died just a short while back. He sold several sets of casting for the engine.

A gear driven rotary pump is not as reliable as a reciprocating (or better yet, a "ram" type) for supplying feedwater. Remeber, water in the boiler is the MOST important item of the "needs" list.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
johnp
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by johnp » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:37 pm

I guess i'll be keeping the pumps then, maybe mounting underneath. Any input would help.

I would still like to find the builder, or email Gene if someone has his email address.
Attachments
iphone03102013 134.jpg
iphone03102013 134.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 10327 times
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:16 am

artemis wrote:
johnp wrote:Ron, yes, it was Richard Burleigh who designed the engine. I managed to find a set of drawings, but I wanted to speak to the builder. It also came with a scaled down version of what looks to be a ships thrust bearing, I think.

Burleigh died just a short while back. He sold several sets of casting for the engine.

A gear driven rotary pump is not as reliable as a reciprocating (or better yet, a "ram" type) for supplying feedwater. Remeber, water in the boiler is the MOST important item of the "needs" list.
Ron,

Quite a bit more than "several" He sold them for $300/set which was at cost back then ('80's). SL Shenandoah, Santa Cruz II, and Victoria all have Burleigh cylinder castings, Jerry Blain made a couple engines with cast back columns using the cylinder castings. My father has a set that has been "curing" in the backyard for about 20 years or more.

They come pretty plain; bedplate made for bearings mounted on top, HP & LP cylinders & covers (cylinders without ports cored in ), HP & LP steam chests & covers, flywheel, and I think that's about it. Richard told me he designed the castings so he could machine them on his 10" or 12" lathe. He said he made the patterns out of fir and pine, never expecting to make so many sets. I think Peter Moale may still have the patterns.

On Richard's personal engine, almost all of the reciprocating parts were made out of aluminium alloy. He ran his pumps off of the crossheads via rocking beam (proper term?).

He had suffered a stroke less than a year after completing his 20 year steamboat project "Phoenix". Always one to joke, saying completing the boat was, "A stroke of luck." He was still making model steam engines with only the use of the left side of his body up until the very end.

Good friend, may his bunkers be full and his water in sight.