More progress

A special section just for steam engines and boilers, as without these you may as well fit a sail.
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Re: More progress

Post by marinesteam » Wed May 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Here are some pics of the work done over the weekend on the York engine rear columns.

The setup was a bit on the dodgy side, but got the job done. The work envelope was just barely large enough to allow machining of the holes on one end, in one setup. I've been meaning to add a spacer to raise the head four inches and really wish I had done so for this job. The part couldn't be lowered as it would interfere with the base of the mill so machine drills and collets were used to gain every bit of extra clearance. Even had to dis-mount the lamp to get a bit of room.

The holes were also spot faced. Being on the inner surfaces of the columns prevented the holes from being spot faced using the normal tools. The reverse spot face tools did the trick.

Cheers

Ken

Last edited by marinesteam on Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed May 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Sorry Ken, I can't see those pics. I've tried dissecting the photobucket url to no avail.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
mtnman
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Mary Jane

Post by mtnman » Wed May 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Here, This might help to see the pictures: http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/steam ... ent&page=1
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Wed May 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Should be fixed

Ken
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed May 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Yep!! Got 'em now. I did eventually see them in the Bucket. Apart from the colour, that could be my milling machine. :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Thu May 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:Yep!! Got 'em now. I did eventually see them in the Bucket. Apart from the colour, that could be my milling machine. :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is a good mill and it (from the various manufacturers) seems pretty popular. I see them show up in photos on the home shop forums fairly often.

I need to find an appropriate chunk so I can add a 4" riser to the head for a bit of added clearance between the spindle face and the table. I never use a small tool in a collet against the table, there is always a vice and/or a tool holder involved in a setup, so there is no need (for me) to have the table to go right up to the spindle face. A few extra vertical inches would make most setups much easier. I have also added a 2hp 3 phase motor and VFD so I can vary the speed. With the VFD the belts only need to be moved for "range" setting and the speed can be fine tuned as needed. Unless an operation calls for some torque, I leave the belts on a higher speed pulley combination and use the VFD for all the speed control. Belt is shifted to low speed combination for taking heavy cuts.

A Bridgeport sized mill would be nice but with space issues in the shop area it's not feasible at this time. I like the compactness of this mill and for 98% of what I do it's great.

Ken
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu May 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Ditto, to that, Ken. I've been thinking likewise about a riser, and an inverter. One of my belts is getting a little worn and for some reason isn't a normal std. size over here. They are available, but to special order.

marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Thu May 29, 2014 10:31 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:Ditto, to that, Ken. I've been thinking likewise about a riser, and an inverter. One of my belts is getting a little worn and for some reason isn't a normal std. size over here. They are available, but to special order.
Mike,

I'm using a Fenner Power Twist belt with the removable sections http://www.fennerdrives.com/powertwist-plus/. Don't remember which size, I'll check when I get home. Should be available in most belt profiles from any good industrial supply house and many woodworking suppliers (The woodwork guys love them on table saws). These belts transmit less vibration to the spindle than normal belts, don't know if it really makes a difference in finish on my machine but it is quieter running.

Where is over here?

Ken
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri May 30, 2014 6:59 am

I'm in the UK, Ken. I tried that sectional belting (we call it link belt) on my lathe and finished up with tensioning problems and loads of slip, so eventually I stripped the headstock out and put it back as original. Happy, no, delighted with it, now. I'll just order some new belts for the miller, it's due a Birthday present I've had it for about ten years now.

marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by marinesteam » Fri May 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Sorry to hear that the link belt didn't work out for you. I use it a lot in industrial application (the day job) and haven't ever had any issues.

Ken