Small steam tug

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Small steam tug

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Well done Rolph

That looks like some excllent work. I also like to see that you are applying 3D CAD to our hobby. I bet our Edwardian forebears would have loved to have a tool like that.

I wondered what material you are using for the core piece of your propeller. From the photo it looks like plastic but I would wonder if plastic would be strong enough for the job. Presumably it is painted metal.

Good luck with the next stages and do tell us what happens.

Regards

Pete
rolphill
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Small steam tug

Post by rolphill »

It's starting to look more like a boat. And the propeller is starting to look more like a proper propeller, or propereller.
IMG_1520.jpg
IMG_1520.jpg (186.68 KiB) Viewed 56 times
IMG_1517.jpg
Yeah, the hub is currently PLA, as I haven't had a chance to machine one out of aluminum yet. It's a pain to drill and tap those angled holes so far deep past the rest of the part, I really only use stub drills and I don't have any extended length taps. On the 2 blade hub I actually drilled and tapped those holes from underneath. However the PLA should hold up to the low forces (<50lbf 300rpm) anyways, especially since the forces work to push the blade mounting points into the hub. If it was machined plastic I would trust it 100% after all at these forces.