Read this first then introduce yourself here.
rolphill
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by rolphill »

I recently finished a steam engine and boiler that was originally intended to go on a go kart sized vehicle. However after several bench tests, this boiler is a bit too finnicky, and a bit low power to power a land vehicle, at least without any automation. It should work well on a boat though.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: New Member

Post by Lopez Mike »

Details??

Type and size of boiler?

There is probably no lower limit as to how small a hull can be and not sink when the skipper sneezes but you may find that you get bored going slow.

On the other hand, there are a number of boats steaming about using the Stuart 5A which tops out at around one H.P.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Hi Rolph

Welcome to the Forum! You will find here a huge amount of experise and lovely folk with good senses of humour. They might tease, but they will certainly try to answer any question you might have.

I like the look of your engine as it is not at all like many steam engines one sees but it certainly seemed to be going well. As for the boiler, you could always go down the mono-tube route which is an inexpensive (relatively!) way of getting a boiler that you can build at home. Of course, being part of the team running the website (https://mono-tube.org.uk/) you can rest assured that this advice is only slightly biased.

We will look forward to hearing what happens next. A steam canoe perhaps?

Regards

Pete
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam »

Welcome to the forum Rolph! Where are you located?

Your engine looks pretty interesting. What are the particulars? Bore, stroke, etc?

Your boiler video from a few years ago looks like you had a Lamont style boiler you were working on. Is that the boiler you still have?
rolphill
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by rolphill »

I made a new thread in the boats area with more details:
viewtopic.php?t=2515

I still have the beginnings of that lamont style boiler in the barn, waiting for me to come back to it some day. I think that one had about 5 or 7 sqft of surface area, which means a lot more on a monotube lamont than it does on a water tube. I plan to come back to that project if/when I finally decide that this boiler is too small. As it is though, I think this boiler should be good for half a horsepower or so, which is still like 3 people rowing worth of power.

I have a degree in mechanical engineering, but I've been doing electronics since I was a child. I currently work as a manufacturing engineer in an automotive factory, mostly doing controls and automation and making prototype parts for the lines and R&D on the CNC in western Michigan. I'm in a unique situation where I have very little money to spend on hobbies, but at work I have free access to a HAAS CNC mill and a medium sized pile of scrap metal and extras. I've been interested in steam engines since I was a child as well. I'm now at a point in my life where I can start to really pursue this passion. (well, other than not having hundreds of dollars for boiler metal)