Hand Pump Design/drawings

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Hand Pump Design/drawings

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Good Afternoon Everybody

On a wet afternoon in Cymru it is perhaps a good time to be thinking about water.

What I am seeking is a small and light hand pump for the monotube boiler that I am building. The two coils are a bit shorter than 25ft (7.62m) in length. The first is 3/16" OD pipe with an ID of 3.1mm while the second is 1/4" OD pipe with an ID of 4.8mm. If I have done the 'sums' corectly that gives a total water content of 0.138 litres.

What would be nice would be a smallish pump with a decent handle rather than a Model engineering one which might have the righ sort of output but are too tiny.

So, suggestions welcome.

Pete
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Hand Pump Design/drawings

Post by TahoeSteam »

Hi Pete,

I would think one of the Pearl engine co, or Elliott Bay offerings would do. Might have to sleeve down the bore (if cored into the casting) for such a small capacity.

Conversely, one could make their own pump with regular plumbing pieces and a little fabrication. The feed pumps on 'Persistance' and 'George H Sandin' are made that way. Only difference would be adding a bracket for the hand lever trunion.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Hi Wesley

Thanks for your suggestions. I have had a look at Pearl, but since the business is up for sale there is no separate information about a hand pump. Elliot Bay seem to be offering the same pump as the SBA albeit and a much greater price. I must admit to having got very cold feet at the sight of the SBA price, but it looks like a design that one could re-draw for fabrication at a reduced scale. The elliot bay photo is a good one to show how it all fits together. That might well be my solution.

The ony trouble is that I have to make a whistle valve, then the whistle before the hand pump rises to the top of the list.

Hope that things are good with you and that you have managed to get some boating done this season.

Regards

Pete
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam »

If you went with one of the SBA offerings you'd have room to bore (grow) for when you build a bigger monotube haha

Hope things are going well your side of the pond. Any luck on tracking down the copyright holder for that other information I sent a while back? Might be covered under free use perhaps?