Engine at Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn

For quality photos of Steamboats
Johnlanark
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Engine at Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn

Post by Johnlanark »

A class photo of a class engine here....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenm1/42 ... 224202688/

It's a launch engine really, mounted on a test bed with a flywheel. I think it will be 2.5"+4.25"x 5".
John
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Engine at Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn

Post by DetroiTug »

That is a nice engine, they have so many fine examples of steam engines and boilers, even a Naptha launch. They had an operational paddle wheeler (Suhwanee), last time I was there, it was idled/docked due to insurance costs. Their railroad exhibit with two running trains complete with roundhouse etc., is really something to see and ride as well. It is about 10 minutes from me and I haven't been there in years, sounds like a good Sunday outing.

-Ron
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan

Post by csonics »

I grew up literally a mile away from Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum. In fact I spent a few summers working there in High School and College. It is an amazing place to see steam engines of all kinds as well as many other priceless historical exhibits. The paddle steamer as I understand it was Henry Ford's private boat when he visited Florida.

-Mike
Johnlanark
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Johnlanark »

Well guys, this engine is the compound big brother of the single I'm building, so if you happen along, just take a couple of pics of the other side for me will you? And if there's a hot well, take it to bits and photograph that too. I'm sure the museum folk won't mind!
John
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug »

John,

That gives me all the more reason to go, I will definitely get some pics for you if I go and it is there.

Update: A whole group of us is going on June 16th. I haven't forgotten it.

Ron
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug »

Went to the museum today and took pictures of the engine. Will get them uploaded to a pic site.

Ron
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug »

Here are the pics, feel free to download. It was very difficult to get decent pictures, the reason the other fellow did not have pics of the back was because it is really not available to the public. I had to go across a barrier to get back there and then there wasn't much light. On top of the the light is burned out on that side of the showcase and the glass was not very clean. No flash, very dark,. with flash shows dirty window. I waited until I seen the whole museum, that way if I got tossed out, I wasn't out anything ;)

Anyways here they are:

Here is a link to the whole album:

http://s185.photobucket.com/home/romaxxcnc/index
Johnlanark
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Johnlanark »

Ron, thanks so much for all these great pictures.
I've never seen a Herreshoff engine of this type with cylinder drain cocks before - and these ones don't seem to have pipes, just what looks like perforated end caps that must surely spray the user with hot water!

Thanks again, you can be sure I'll study these carefully. I hope others enjoy.
John
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan

Post by csonics »

Great photos! I didn't even know that thing was there I went to HFM at least 4x a year for the 1st 18 years of my life...

-Mike
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug »

John,

You're quite welcome. Looks like a very interesting engine, wishing you success.

Mike,

That engine just may not have been there. There were a lot of things I noticed gone yesterday, the old Naptha launch (mentioned in MSB&SL) was not there or I missed it. A lot of the old machine tools were absent. As were many of the fine steam engine models. They have some exhibits there with 8 track players, hell I just got rid of mine not too long ago :) I guess they're trying to give it wider appeal. Translated: messing it up.

-Ron