New to the forum

Read this first then introduce yourself here.
PanicMechanic
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

New to the forum

Post by PanicMechanic »

Hello everyone!

Sean from Eugene, Oregon.

I've been lurking on the forum for around 6 months. The steam bug bit me a few years ago. I have a mixed species woodlot that needs continual thinning, I never seem to run out of good firewood. I wanted to burn all the trimmings in a central boiler for home heat. However another subject for another forum.

Building a boat has been on the bucket list for 20 years now. Somehow the internet led me to some videos on YouTube, specifically Wesley Harcourts channel. There is also a video of Kelly Anderson's Reciproca (Thank you both!). I was all in on the idea of a small steamer.

I grew up in Alaska fishing for salmon. We ran a 50HP Yamaha outboard on a small Zodiac. Effective, but hardly unique. When I wanted to build my own boat, I didn't want horsepower to be the only feature. I have spent most of my life working around gas and diesel engines, and am ready for a new mechanical world to play in.

I am still very early in the process. I just finished Steamboats and Modern Steam Launches. Currently reading "Verbal" notes and sketches for Marine Engineer Officers. All incredibly fascinating. My next step is to join the Northwest Steam Society. I am unsure where to start, as I have none of the major components yet. There is some great advice on the forum about buying used, so I haven't fully decided if I am going to build my own. So far the boat in mind would be 20-25', single cylinder condensing, burning wood on natural draft. Black Locust and Bigleaf Maple grow like weeds here, so I have a great source for boiler fuel.

Thanks everyone for all of the great information in the archives. I am looking forward to this new hobby.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Re: New to the forum

Post by RNoe »

PanicM:
Welcome aboard!
My first advice: DO join the NW Steam Society. A great group of Supportive Folks with amazing knowledge and resources.

Had you previously joined, you might have known about their big annual Steam Boat Meet that just happened in Toledo, OR, a short jaunt from your location in Eugene. I was there with my steamer Cluaran for its public debut. (another story)

So join the NWSS, study the information on their website, and note boats for sale! You might find yourself drawn in differently that you envisioned.
To be continued.
RussN
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike »

I second Russ's thoughts on both joining the society and looking for a used boat. Having just built a new hull I can vouch for the expense of modern materials and having previously bought a boat for its machinery I can also confirm that you can save a bunch of time and money that way.

Mike Colyar
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse »

Welcome to the forum.

Getting on the water with steam power can be done with loads of money, or on a shoestring if you like. The lowest cost can be had with a fiberglass sailboat hull, which is converted to propeller arrangement by cutting out the centerboard well and fiberglassing in a PVC propeller shaft housing. Sailboat hulls, with a broken mast or bad sails can be found at very low cost. Traditional steam engines are generally expensive, but an Internal combustion engine conversion to steam can be done with far less cost. I have done this engine conversion in less than a day's work with ordinary hand tools, although about a week's work with some machine tools is required to make an efficient steamer conversion. The boiler then becomes the most challenging element, and proper design and fabrication is required. Lots of technical help is available here, have a look in the FAQ section of the forum.

Back in the 1970's I built an automatic, unattended coal fired, steam-electric plant that generated the house electricity, with the exhaust steam heating the house. There is an American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) paper about this, as well as a similar Diesel IC engine system. PM me if you would like a copy.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Hi PanicM

Welcome to the site. Good luck with imminent project, but I hope you are good at handling 'indecision'. If my experience is anything to go by, there will be so many choice points. However, you sound to have some engineering background, which I lacked, and thus decision making may be easier. However, I think the first decision is whether you want to go steamboating with your nearest & dearest or spend lots of time in the shop creating the boat of your dreams. I got that one wrong!

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes

Pete
PanicMechanic
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by PanicMechanic »

RussN: Thank you for the advice regarding joining. Toledo isn't far at all, it's more fun driving up Yaquina Bay than going over on Hwy 20 anyway! I will be joining NWSS soon.

Mike: Thank you for advising looking for used equipment and/or a hull. I've been warned for years from the boating community that building can be exorbitant. Maybe down the road I will stand up to the challenge, but for now I just want to go steamboating!

Fred: There is a local sailing community nearby, I think I will start there. I have read some about IC to steam conversions. Seems to be the easiest way to make an engine if you do not have machining tools (and I don't). Is there a specific thread that you have in mind to research? PM coming concerning the ASME plans. Thank you for the information!

Pete: So far indecision have been my bane. I thought automotive restoration had it's choices, then I walked into the steam community! Everything is unique, not two boats the same, nor are any plumbed the same way. I had to walk away for a couple of weeks just from the sheer amount of new knowledge. I am finally getting over it, and have a better idea of what I'm in for. My wife is very excited about steamboating, so I would like to get on the water sooner than later. If this hobby really hooks us, maybe we'll build one someday, I think we just need the experience first.

Thanks again everyone! Off to read about Babcock and Wilcox selectable-superheat boilers.